[Buddha-l] Re: Gender on Buddha-l

Richard P. Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Mon Oct 10 09:58:14 MDT 2005

On Sun, 2005-10-09 at 22:58 -0600, jkirk wrote:

> It's time to dump the erection of the Sacred Dichotomy in this
> discussion.  In my case at least, and I have said this before: any
> analytical generalization I make is to be taken as a "more or less"
> statement, not as a purely dualistic either/or.

Joanna, your initial hypothesis that people on buddha-l ignore your
posts because you are a female was far-fetched at the very best. First
of all, you usually send your messages without your name on them, so
only people who know you personally are aware that jkirk is a female
name. Secondly, almost nothing that you write has anything to do with
gender issues. You send in materials having to do with all manner of
things pertaining to art, archaeology, anthropology and Asian political
situations. If people do not respond to those messages, then it is
either because they are not interested in those topics or because they
do not feel informed enough to say anything about them.

Your hypothesis that people ignore you because you are a woman speaks
more of your carefully cultivated post-modern feminist paranoia than it
does of reality. I will dump my concern for false and carelessly formed
dichotomies when people stop using them to arrive at asinine
conclusions. My reasons for doing that have nothing to do with gender;
they have everything to do with the Buddhist observations that ayoniso
manasikaara (careless thinking) leads to dukkha. I think you could
liberate yourself from the particular dukkha you are experiencing as a
result of this discussion forum if you listened carefully to what people
are saying about why they do or do not read or respond to your messages.
Dwelling on fantastic imaginings will not get you out of dukkha.

--
Richard Hayes
***