[Buddha-l] Re: Gender on Buddha-l

Richard P. Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Mon Oct 10 10:18:17 MDT 2005

On Mon, 2005-10-10 at 01:21 +0100, Stephen Hodge wrote:

> Actually, yes.  Tall people literally look down on many others and I
> believe, from unsystematic personal observation, this can lead to various
> personality traits (in the case of males) that often translate into certain
> particular, though obvious, attitudes.

On an e-mail forum, how does none know how tall another person is?

> I wonder, therefore, how tall are Dan Lusthaus and Richard Hayes, for example.

Richard Hayes is just over 6'1" (around 185 cm) and weighs in at just
under 260 pounds. Dan Lusthaus is nowhere near as tall or heavy as I. Is
that about what you expected?

> Perhaps a new and helpful Buddha-L posting rule could be implemented
> which stipulates that male subscribers should compulsorily state their
> height (and weight).

Why stop there? If we are doing pop psychology, we should also require
that women state their height and weight, that all contributers state
their age, how many siblings they have, where they rank in birth order,
how many times they have been married and divorced, whether they are
right-handed or left-handed, what their mothers and fathers did for a
living, what their current income level is, how recently they have been
tested for cancer and whether or not they eat meat, fish or eggs. In
fact, if everyone stated all those things, we would know everything
about them and would never again have to read what they say on any
topic.

> Best wishes,

There's no way I can believe that until I know how tall you are, how
much you weigh and whether you had acne as a teenager.

--
Richard Hayes