[Buddha-l] Teaching Zen Buddhist philosophy

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Mon Oct 10 11:37:29 MDT 2005

What you say about pablum is also true of vomit (which you mentioned
earlier). Many species make use of vomit as a means for transporting
food in a convenient way. Its rather like the predecessor to fast food -
only more nutritious. I was reminded of this just yesterday when I
caught a few minutes of a PBS documentary on wolves. But seriously, in
both cases (pablum and vomit) there is a clear element of dependency and
immaturity. When I took 100 level Philosophy classes we read Plato,
Kant, Berkeley, Hume, Locke, Mill - stuff like that - "solid food", if
we continue the diet analogy. (By the way - those classes were at a
state university known primarily as a party school and the home base of
Bobby Knight). I would certainly consider David Loy, whom you did
originally mention, as a serious author - but not those others. The
other authors originally mentioned write primarily "self-help" books -
they don't even qualify as "serious non-fiction". They might conceivably
be appropriate for a High School class on Zen - but nothing more. Unlike
Loy, those other authors are not in the business of producing works that
are intended to be intellectually challenging, to put it politely.

Brian Victoria's books would be good to add - but how much emphasis you
place on them should be handled judiciously (after all, how much time
should be spent on the Inquisition in a survey course on Christianity?)
You should definitely consider Miriam Levering's groundbreaking research
on the history of women Zen teachers in China as well.

- Curt