[Buddha-l] Dana

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Tue Oct 11 09:13:59 MDT 2005

Just this Sunday I went to the local Kali Temple to celebrate Durga
Puja. My knowledge of Hinduism/Vedanta/whatever is almost completely
theoretical - and I wanted to see what it looked like "in action". I
knew that "Durga Puja" was a major event - but I wasn't quite ready for
what I encountered - hundreds of people crammed into a big room all
sitting on the floor with a Priest chanting into a microphone and people
blowing conch shells and beating on drums and banging on gongs - and at
regular intervals the Priest would start ringing a bell and chanting
even louder. At one point a person started walking through the crowd
with a hand scrawled sign - when he got close enough for me to make it
out it said "Red Nissan - Georgia Plates" - the crowd was so large that
many people had double parked - blocking other people in! All during the
two-hour puja people were coming in and going out - and there were at
least 100 people milling around outside the Temple room proper - waiting
for the food (bhog) that would follow the Puja proper. Oh - and the
whole time there were half a dozen or so people up on the main altar
moving around, lighting candles and incense and lamps and placing and
arranging and rearranging flowers and fruit and other offerings. I found
it very moving that in midst of all this, here and there there were
ordinary people bowing reverently to Durga and Kali and Shiva - not most
people - not even a fifth of them - but enough so that you could see a
kind of heartfelt, spontaneous "religiosity" that was totally immediate
and voluntary. People were completely free to choose "how religious"
they wanted to be - and most people seemed to opt for a kind of minimum
(many people were talking through the whole ceremony - some on cells
phones), but that only emphasized the genuineness of those who chose to
go a little (or a lot) further in their overt expression.

I will probably be adding the "Kali DC" Temple to my list of good causes
to support in the near future (of course I made a little donation for
the Puja while I was there - and I also got my car blocked in!)

- Curt