[Buddha-l] Re: Greetings from Oviedo

Joy Vriens joy.vriens at nerim.net
Tue Oct 11 15:49:46 MDT 2005

Richard P. Hayes wrote:

> One view is that the most important aspects of Buddhism in fact did not
> disappear from its homeland at all but rather become incorporated in
> Hinduism. So you could say that Buddhism disappeared because it was so
> successful but had no need to insist on being identified as unique.

I like that a lot. It's the best thing that can happen to an idea. I
sometimes think that somehow Christianity lost some of its appeal,
because its best ideas have been assimilated by western culture and
laws. That some of those social laws come under attack again will
perhaps lead to a renewed popularity of those Christian ideas. It
somehow seems to have to be either social laws or charity.

Joy