[Buddha-l] Re: An experiment (Gender on Buddha-l)

Peter D. Junger junger at samsara.law.cwru.edu
Tue Oct 11 14:55:09 MDT 2005

"jkirk" writes:

: Thanks Andrew for your guarded remarks, guarded being better than nada.
: Here is ONE example of a post by me that was currently relevant because of
: hurricane Katrina, to which there was no response on the list at all. (I
: simply do not have the time to go back and repeat every one of the 17 posts
: that were just ignored.)
: Suddenly today, everybody is on about charitable giving. The header was "So
: much for tsunami dana."  I posted this on 9/29/05.  Since so many of the
: charitable folk on this list automatically delete what I post, I am
: reposting it minus the article:
: ------------
: {begin reposting}
: The same thing is going on right now with reconstruction in New Orleans.
: Even the Red cross, which is supposed to be a reliable conduit for aid, ran
: into FEMA blocks in New Orleans and was not even present in many of the
: Mississippi flooded-out areas. We have undoubtedly entered an era of
: increasing natural calamities of great proportions, and the only way that
: victims of such emergencies can properly be helped is if the local and
: regional forces get themselves organized, planned, and structured for such
: eventualities.
: The more local the organizing, the better chance they might have to escape
: corruption because the more local, the more visible.
:
: In the case of Sri Lanka and other Asian areas, I doubt if such organization
: will happen or that any of it will be corruption-free. Civil society in
: these countries is weak. (In India similar issues have been exposed about
: tsnunami relief in the Tamil Nadu area.) Seeing how the feds are now handing
: out competition-free contracts to favorite companies like Bechtel and
: Halliburton, seeing how many local corporations in the New Orleans area
: already have their hands out for special relief courtesy of the taxpayers,
: at the undoubted expense of ordinary flood victims who now have nothing to
: return to, I see no difference between Sri Lanka, India, or the USA. It
: almost makes one wonder if there is not some international agreement among
: elites to just let millions die of disease, starvation and homelessness in
: order to reduce their claims on national wealth.
: Joanna
: http://www.buddhistchannel.tv/index.php?id=1,1751,0,0,1,0  }

I tend to agree with what is said here although I can't claim to
be familiar with the Asian situations.

But I can't think of any reason why I would have responded to the
original message, having nothing to add to it or to question about it,
especially as it does not fit into the concerns that are the
reason I subscribe to this list.

--
Peter D. Junger--Case Western Reserve University Law School--Cleveland, OH
 EMAIL: junger at samsara.law.cwru.edu    URL:  http://samsara.law.cwru.edu