[Buddha-l] Re: dana

Mike Austin mike at lamrim.org.uk
Tue Oct 11 17:40:09 MDT 2005

In message <s34bdfcb.078 at zgrw01.cf.ac.uk>, Andrew Skilton
<skiltonat at Cardiff.ac.uk> writes
>Amongst many others in the UK, I was upset by the ultimate response of
>several major charities to the generosity of British public that
>spontaneously raise 400 million sterling for tsunami relief (this aside
>from UK gov promises) - charities that some time later had not passed
>on the money and eventually either returned it (!) or diverted it to
>their more 'traditional' causes!
..
>Anyone have any interesting observations on the contrast (if such)
>between personal/direct giving and institutional giving? Erik seemed to
>be touching on this with his wish to remake his decision each time.

I share your concern here. This is why I am hesitant about which charity
to support. But it would be easy to become negative and do nothing.

A colleague at work  sometimes takes several months off to go to Mexico.
He does voluntary work  putting in water supplies and other services for
villages. Unfortunately, his circumstances have changed.  He is unlikely
to be going for some time. I would have happily given him cash to take.

--
Metta
Mike Austin