[Buddha-l] Re: Self-inmolation in the Buddhist tradition

Benito Carral bcarral at kungzhi.org
Wed Oct 12 09:23:29 MDT 2005

On Wednesday, October 12, 2005, Chan Fu wrote:

>>> All that being said, self immolation, to a buddhist
>>> practitioner, is impossible. Why?

>> The   problem  with  this  statement  is  that  it's
>> contrary   to   the   facts.   So   maybe   we   are
>> misunderstanding something here.

> Which facts?

   For  example, the case related by Ven. Xu-yun in his
autobiography.  It's clear that the self-immolated monk
was  one of great virtue. There is also the interesting
question that, in the Chinese tradition (and keeping in
mind  chapter  23 of _The Lotus Sutra_ not only there),
such monks have been regarded as virtuous and worthy of
emulation for centuries.

> Indeed, maybe we are misunderstanding something here.

   I would bet.

   Best wishes,

   Beni