[Buddha-l] Buddhist pacifism

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Wed Oct 12 10:03:23 MDT 2005

The idea that pacifism is essential to Buddhism is a very recent idea,
as far as I know. I have never seen any evidence that pacifism has been
a major tenet of any school of Buddhism - or of any major (or, for that
matter, minor) Buddhist teacher (prior to the present Dalai Lama - none
his previous incarnations, for instance, where anything like
pacifistic). Buddhism has been a mainstream religion throughout Asia for
2500 years. There has never been any move by any "Buddhist" country to
dismantle its standing army and dissolve all police forces and other
institutions of "violence". Nor has there been any "call" or "campaign"
by Buddhists demanding any such thing. Buddhist teachers and/or priests
have had enormous political influence throughout Asia - advising kings
and emperors and commanding large followings of their own and also
controlling vast amounts of wealth. I think that if Asian Buddhists had
been promoting pacifism all along there would be some pretty clear
evidence of it. I would be very interested to hear of any such evidence.
I would also be very interested to know what basis there is for
considering pacifism to be an essential part of Buddhism.

Dan gave one example of a group of Buddhists who chose to surrender
rather than fight against Muslim invaders. But as the report clearly
shows, there were good reasons for the Buddhists to do so: (1) if they
did put up a fight they would likely be slaughtered if they lost -
whereas if they just gave up they might come out a lot better, (2) they
were looking for a change of administration anyway, (3) they did not
have a fighting force of their own (which does not at all imply that
they were "pacifists" - maybe they were cowards or weaklings or just
decadent middle-class types who prefer it when other people to do their
fighting for them). Is there perhaps some stronger evidence than this?

- Curt