[Buddha-l] Re: An experiment (Gender on Buddha-l)

Michael Paris parisjm2004 at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 13 15:10:23 MDT 2005

--- Franz Metcalf <franzmetcalf at earthlink.net> wrote:

[snip]
> Michael Paris, very reasonably, questioned my recommendations:

Thank you.

> [snip] The  "how" is, as she said, to promote an environment that
feels inclusive and appreciative of differing voices. Since we're
online we can only do  this through our style of interaction.

I am uncomfortable with the word "feels." Way too subjective. What may
feel inclusive to one may be quite exclusive, even hostile, to another.
Nor can I anticipate what another's feelings may be in normal
discourse.

Seems that this forum is indeed appreciative of differing voices.
Agreement is not required for participation here. More or less reasoned
opinions are welcomed, even responses that have nothing to do with
Buddhism (of which I am certainly guilty).

> Still, I'll throw it out there and say it seems to me that a Buddhist
> environment ought to be inclusive and appreciative.

How is the environment here exclusive and unappreciative? There's a
diversity of opinions and expressions of those opinions. I appreciate
that people take the time to participate. Good conversations on the
Internet are as scares as liberals in Texas. (Go ahead, Richard -- I
dare you!)

> [snip] Preserving these voices, hearing these voices, respecting
these voices, learning from these voices is "better" (to try to answer
Michael's question) because it compensates for or complements the
majority voice of the list. [snip]

I must be dense. What majority voice? Certainly there is contention
between individuals with rather strong ideas, but isn't that good in
itself? What else is required? Sure, things get a bit strained, but
that happens with a nice, juicy argument.

As long as the discussion is reasonably intelligent, civil, and not ad
hominem, I'm fine with Buddha-l.

> I guess I see buddha-l as somehow inherently Buddhist or therapeutic.
[snip]

To me it's an amusement and diversion, occasionally as place to learn.
Not unlike, say, The History Channel. <g>

In any event, thank you for an enjoyable post. It's fun to engage in a
bit of give-and-take.

One last word... Humor goes a long way in making live good, or at least
tolerable. It's not healthy to be over-serious about anything.

Didn't some Zen master say the best thing one could do is start the day
by a good, long laugh?

Michael