[Buddha-l] yoga(TM)

Stuart Ray Sarbacker s-sarbacker at northwestern.edu
Thu Oct 13 20:29:40 MDT 2005

>Message: 1
>Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 09:48:36 +0200
>From: Erik Hoogcarspel <jehms at xs4all.nl>
>Subject: [Buddha-l] yoga(TM)
>To: Buddhist discussion forum <buddha-l at mailman.swcp.com>
>
>The madness of capitalism: shortly people will have to buy the right to
>do a form of meditation or a sadhana to patentholders.
>
>http://www.adnki.com/index_2Level.php?cat=Trends&loid=8.0.215680098&par=0
>
>--
>
>Erik
>
>www.xs4all.nl/~jehms

Erik,
I apologize if someone has already addressed this, but I have also
read that this is being interpreted as an attempt to prevent
particular teachers (esp. Bikram Choudhury, "hot yoga") from
patenting postures/sequences. There have been a number of articles
about Bikram's approach to his form as "intellectual property" and
the ramifications that it would have for that industry. There is so
much to be said about this and yoga and meditation as
cultural/economic capital, I don't know where to begin! "Intellectual
Property" in and of itself is a fascinating and complex concept
itself, arguably present in myriad forms throughout cultural and
religious histories (Buddhism of course not excluded). One aspect of
this is the replication of "initiatory" schema, which requires in
some cases significant economic expense, see, for example,
contemporary "yoga teacher trainings" and the various "empowerments"
in contemporary Tibetan traditions. There are interesting parallels
with the past, but also a phenomenon that is thoroughly novel in
other ways. In any case, thanks for passing this along.
Best Wishes,
Stuart

--
Dr. Stuart Sarbacker