[Buddha-l] Quakerly Buddhism (was: Speaking of tests...)

bclough bclough at aucegypt.edu
Sat Oct 15 14:15:04 MDT 2005

Richard Hayes wrote:

> Similarly, Theravada Buddhism would be just fine if it weren't for
the exclusively male sangha...

Agreed, Theravada in South and SE Asia has been largely patriarchal,
but it's worth noting that that the Bhikkhuni-sangha was restored in
Sri Lankan Buddhism in 1997 (via a Taiwanese lineage, as I recall).
Not all Sri Lankan mahatheras have accepted this, but many (most?)
have, and that's a step in the right direction... And prior to this,
many women renunciants in Theravada societies had ignored the
supposed need for male approval and lived the full-fledged monastic
life as "ten-precept mothers"...

And I'm not so sure the situation is that much better for bhikshunis
in Mahayana societies. Typically, their status is decidely second-
class.

Brad