[Buddha-l] Re: Buddhist pacifism (copyrighting 'vipassana')

Mitchell Ginsberg jinavamsa at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 16 17:24:11 MDT 2005

hello all,

Richard writes, in part:
Speaking of all this stuff, some years ago I heard a
rumor that Goenka Inc were trying to get a trademark
for the term Vipassana. I hope that rumor was false,
since trying to own any aspect of the path of
renunciation would surely result in at least a billion
aeons in a hell
in which the only software was open source.
--
Richard Hayes

===========
I heard that there were recently proceedings in which
the term 'yoga' was also laid claim to by one group of
yogis (or a "yoga school"). It was thrown out of
court.
(This was "Vikram" or "Bikram" yoga....)

Now, as it might be harder to prove that the word
'vipassana' has been taken into the English language
(as has the word 'yoga'), who knows! Maybe it will be
'vipassana [copyright rights held worldwide by Goenka
Meditation Services, Inc.]' one day ....

Mitchell

http://www.geocities.com/jinavamsa/mentalhealth.html with links to
my home page, info on The Inner Palace (3rd ed.) and The Far Shore
(3rd ed.), further links to  psychotherapy, to my current teaching,
to the Insight Practice (Vipassana),  Chishtiyya (Sufi), Creative
Solutions for Peace, and Nasrudin discussion groups, and to the
Collective Dharma Insight project.