[Buddha-l] Re: Buddhist pacifism

Mike Austin mike at lamrim.org.uk
Mon Oct 17 14:51:32 MDT 2005

In message <1129579348.6140.29.camel at localhost.localdomain>, Richard P.
Hayes <rhayes at unm.edu> writes
>On Mon, 2005-10-17 at 20:18 +0100, Mike Austin wrote:
>
>> I don't eat very much meat, but when I do, I don't think my actions of
>> body, speech and mind are bad.
>
>It is not a matter of seeing anything as good or bad. Rather, it is a
>matter of noting that there is suffering in the world and that one is
>doing one's part in contributing to it and then being willing to
>consider trying to act in ways that reduce the contribution one is
>making to the unnecessary suffering that sentient beings suffer. Clarity
>of mind, honest and mindfulness do not require feeling guilty; indeed,
>feelings of guilt may cloud the mind more than clarifying it.

What is it about this issue that makes it so tempting to discuss?  But I
am going to pass on it. I do note the suffering of samsara; that actions
have results; that there is an interdependence of actions of all beings.
I just come to a different conclusion about my actions - and guilt does
not feature there at all.

--
Metta
Mike Austin