[Buddha-l] Re: Buddhist pacifism

Lee Dillion leedillion at gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 13:21:05 MDT 2005

Geez.  You try to please someone by agreeing with them and yet they
still wish to argue.  What is it you want us to believe, curt?  That
institutional religions, no matter their content, make pragmatic
compromises?  OK.  That those compromises may be contrary to the
scriptures/canon that inform the religion?  OK.  That you can find
Buddhists throughout the ages who have supported governments that use
violence?  OK.

Granted all this, what more is it you are arguing?

By the way, you state that Buddhism obviously "discourages" violence.
But "discourage" is far too lenient a word in my view as the early canon
condemns violence repeatedly and never expressly approves of violence in
any situation (other than the obvious approval of killing anger).  If
you are aware of a sutta or sutra that suggests otherwise, let me know,
as my readings have been rather limited in scope.  On the other hand, if
you simply want to appeal to the pragmatism of Buddhism, I've seen those
arguments before.

Lee