[Buddha-l] on eating meat

Dr. Michael E. Steele msteele at uwf.edu
Wed Oct 19 13:09:00 MDT 2005

A few quotes from the Dalai Lama.  They make his position abundantly clear.

"Vegetarianism is very admirable. In the case of those living in Tibet in
the past, because of the climatic conditions and the scarcity of green
vegetables, it is perhaps understandable that people generally adopted a
non-vegetarian diet. Now, however, particularly in countries where there is
an abundance of fresh vegetables and fruits, it is far better to reduce our
consumption of non-vegetarian food as much as possible."
The World of Tibetan Buddhism, page 111.

""I think that from a Buddhist point of view it is very important to be
vegetarian. I always say that even if on an individual level one does not
always manage to stick to a vegetarian diet, when large numbers meet for a
party, a conference, or any other gathering, it is indispensable that the
group avoids eating meat. As for myself, I have tried my best to introduce
vegetarianism to Tibetan society."
Beyond Dogma, pg. 28.

For those people who can practice strict vegetarianism, that is best. I was
deeply impressed the other day when I heard on the BBC radio that the number
of vegetarians in this country (Great Britain) is growing. This is good
news."
The Meaning of Life from a Buddhist Perspective, page 72-73.

"The suffering of animals is immediately apparent, for example, in goats and
lambs slaughtered by the butcher, unable to save their own lives. Animals
are harmless, they are totally powerless, possessing nothing but the bit of
water and food we give them. They are so simple, so stupid, ignorant, and
defenseless, that men really have no right to hunt and kill them for food.
Cows, horses, mules and other animals have a dismal life and a dismal fate."
Essential Teachings, page 43.

According to Buddhism the life of all beings--human, animal or otherwise--is
precious, and all have the same right to happiness. For this reason, I find
it disgraceful that animals are used without being shown the slightest
compassion, and that they are used for scientific experiments. ...I have
also noticed that those who lack any compassion for animals and who do not
hesitate to kill them are also those who, sooner or later, show a lack of
compassion toward human beings. Inversely, the more compassion we have
toward animals, the more we regard their lives as precious, then the more
respect we have for human life.
Beyond Dogma, pg. 28.

Although from a spiritual point of view, we can say that human beings are
the most precious of all living beings, seen from other angles we are the
most destructive species our planet has known. Not only do we create pain
for other species-- the millions of fish, chickens, cows and others we
consider to be our righful food -- but we use our intelligence even to plan
the total destruction of the planet on which we live!
The Dalai Lama on Money, Politics, and Life As It Could Be, pages 29-30.

If you adopt questionable methods to become richer, such as selling arms or
building poultry farms, then your livelihood becomes a source of negative
energy and karma. By investing your money in the poultry industry, for
example, you may become richer but at the expense of other beings' lives
The Dalai Lama on Money, Politics, and Life As It Could Be, page 15.