[Buddha-l] Re:on eating meat

Laura Castell laura.castell at jcu.edu.au
Tue Oct 18 16:51:59 MDT 2005

>I don't mean to engage in casuistry, but I was just wondering how far
>the economic/consumerist argument goes up for eating meat. Suppose that
>one could get hold of meat with a passed sell by date (e.g. of the day
>of the sell by date) that a supermarket wants to get rid of. I expect it
>is simply destructed, but imagine for a second it isn't. Would it be
>acceptable to eat that meat? I believe I read there was a period in
>Gandhi's life where he only ate overripe of rotten fruit that had be
>thrown away, but I could be wrong.
>
>Joy

Although the principle behind eating (or using) meat (or something else)
that otherwise would be thrown away is good, I think it would still not be
acceptable because with that attitude we will never be able to break the
vicious circle. I really believe the consumer has the ultimate power to
decide what the companies ultimately do and in this case it would have to
be to reduce drastically our buying of meat (in supermarkets, in
restaurants). It would unavoidable result in a long period of tremendous
waste while the producers realise the change and adapt to it. I wish we all
had the strength to do it! (I am guilty I confess). The case of fruit is
different because you can argue you are not killing the plant producing it,
in fact, eating it may be one of the fruit's strategy for propagation.
Best, Laura