[Buddha-l] on eating meat

Alberto Todeschini at8u at virginia.edu
Tue Oct 18 18:05:55 MDT 2005

Dear Joy,

You wrote:

 > Suppose that one could get hold of meat with a passed sell by date
(e.g. of the day of the sell by date) that a supermarket wants to get
rid of. I expect it is simply destructed, but imagine for a second it
isn't. Would it be acceptable to eat that meat?<

As far as I am concerned, yes, it would. I don't see anything inherently
bad in eating meat. I grew up in a town in the Alps. At night we often
see deer crossing roads and sometimes people run over them,
accidentally, of course. Why should there be anything wrong about eating
that meat?
When I lived in London I knew that some homeless people would go and
look for food in the big skips where supermarkets throw their rubbish.
If they found meat I think they were perfectly right in eating it.
But I don't buy meat.  Apart from the obvious fact of not wanting to
have animals killed for me, I also don't want to give my financial
support to one of the worst industries on earth.

Alberto Todeschini