[Buddha-l] Re: on eating meat

Andrew Skilton skiltonat at Cardiff.ac.uk
Wed Oct 19 10:04:53 MDT 2005

Wed, 19 Oct 2005  Richard Nance  wrote:

>... the point made by the Dalai Lama is one that echoes a
ways of thinking about animals that has a long tradition in Buddhist
thought.

Thanks, Richard.  Your point is well made (and taken).  The passage from the
*Kun bzang bla ma'i zhal lung* is particularly good.

I'm curious about the tension between acknowledging the sentience/agency (to use
inadequate labels for what I am referring to) of other species and being
dismissed as a paid up member of the Bambi brigade and thus dismissed as a kind
of 'sentimentalist'.  Is it that those who, in a Buddhist environment, do not
acknowledge what I called the continuity of consciousness are just importing
incompatible cultural conditionings or religious ideologies into their Buddhism?

Andrew

Andrew Skilton D. Phil.

email: skiltonat at cardiff.ac.uk