[Buddha-l] on eating meat

Richard P. Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Wed Oct 19 15:58:11 MDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-10-19 at 20:05 +0100, Mike Austin wrote:

> >So you seek a fatwa from the Dalia Lama in which he says in so many
> >words "Eating meat is bad karma"? Does this not strike you as a
> >remarkably limited and unimaginative way of looking at an important
> >issue?
>
> No, but I do see your comment as a remarkably limited and unimaginative
> response to a sincere request for a reference - not just from the Dalai
> Lama - that can clarify whether eating or buying meet is bad karma.

Let me try putting it another way. It seems to me that you have already
received an abundance of materials from various sources, including the
Dalai Lama, that make it clear in every possible way that buying meat is
an unwholesome activity in that it leads to the suffering of sentient
beings. What you do not have is a single sentence that summarizes all
this material up for you in the words "Buying meat is bad karma."  But
do you really need that sentence? Can you not see that that is precisely
what is being said by the material that your friends on buddha-l have
been giving to you?

--
Richard