[Buddha-l] Re: on eating meat

Joy Vriens joy.vriens at nerim.net
Thu Oct 20 04:01:26 MDT 2005

Andrew Skilton wrote:

> Yes, and even of one's own shortcomings, in the sense of fluctuations in the
> quality of one's daily consciousness. I have also found it interesting to dwell
> on the conflict of interests or 'wills' that can occur with my cohabitants.  Its
> so easy to assume that theirs are to be subsumed to mine, insofar as their's
> need be acknowledged at all. Its quite interesting to try to view my pressing
> 'needs' or wants from their perspective - as it were.

I think that is an excellent spiritual exercise. I try to do the same
with my children (though not with my wife, I tend to lose those
conflicts of interests), not forgetting that I also have a role in
setting limits and teaching them to behave in responsible ways. BTW I
find the whole issue of "will" interesting and IMO more to the point
than the self/no-self approach.

But whereas I may be complemented as a very understanding and modern
father when sorting out a conflict of interests with my children in a
non-autoritarian way in a shopping mall, you may be simpy considered mad
when you have an open discussion with your dogs to sort out a conflict
of interests. ;-)

>>With a hug for you and two pets on the back each for your dogs,

Oops I meant pats.

> Many thanks!

My pleasure and honour.