[Buddha-l] karma?

Michael Paris parisjm2004 at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 20 08:49:27 MDT 2005

I see not a whit of difference between "negative" karma and sin, and
"positive" karma and good works.

Frankly, that sounds as meaningless as my Catholic school teachings
that sin was a mark on my soul.

I can see karma as relating to something physical. I get angry - it's
not good for me or, perhaps, what I'm angry at. I do something good -
it's good for me and others. Fine.

What need is there for the term "karma?" Is it only because of the
doctrine (dogma?) of reincarnation? Or is this an example of getting
carried away with metaphysics?

What if one doesn't find reincarnation - or any afterlife - tenable? Is
one a Buddhist, then?

Michael