[Buddha-l] Re: on eating meat

Stephen Hodge s.hodge at padmacholing.freeserve.co.uk
Thu Oct 20 08:52:15 MDT 2005

Dear all,

Whiole we are at it, another related animal issue that has not been
mentioned or discussed yet is the use of animals in medical experimentation
and cosmetic testing.  Any takers ?   How, for example, might Buddhists view
somebody like Christopher Reeves and the lab he funded which specialized in
breaking animals backs in the hope that a way might have been found to stick
his spinal cord together again ?  My personal view (surprise, surprise) is
that he was a selfish monster, prepared to inflict horrendous suffering on
other sentient beings for his own self-indulgent ends.  My partner, given to
more schadenfreude than myself, actually broke into spontaneous applause
when the news came in that he had died before he had achieved his goal.

Also, the use of animals in warfare.  This is truly distressing.  Most
people are completely oblivious to the widespread use and enormous death
toll of animals conscripted into many wars even now.  Belatedly, a beautiful
and moving monument has recently been erected in London (Park Lane) to mark
the sacrifice of these animals.  Have other countries anything similar yet ?

Best wishes,
Stephen Hodge