[Buddha-l] Re: on eating meat

Jim Peavler jpeavler at mindspring.com
Thu Oct 20 10:35:16 MDT 2005

On Oct 19, 2005, at 5:05 PM, Mike Austin wrote:

> This is precisely the point. Friends of mine are vegetarians because
> it appears to them, intellectually and emotionally,  to be the only
> way to eat that is compatible with bodhicitta. I appreciate that. All
> I say is that this is not universally true, and others do not
> accumulate any bad karma because they behave differently.

I find two worrisome tendencies in this discussion. First, the
insistence on having some text deliver the "truth" seems to be a form
of literalism so seriously eschewed amongst the xian fundamentalists,
and second is the notion that so long as there is no bad karma expected
as a result of an action then it is OK to do it, or if there is said to
be bad karma associated with an action then it is to be avoided. This
is not dissimilar from xians saying that without a belief in their god
no morality is possible.

If any sutra actually is the words of the man called the Buddha, it
would seem that one of his major lessons is to look into one's own
heart and live up to the expectations developed from that to the best
of one's ability. Another lesson is to associate with persons one
admires and respects for the orderliness and virtue of his live (Buddha
apparently didn't say "her" life).

So, my (probably worthless) advice, is not to spend too much time
looking around outside yourself for your "salvation". Save yourself.