[Buddha-l] Vipassana?

Jackhat1 at aol.com Jackhat1 at aol.com
Thu Oct 20 14:05:53 MDT 2005

In a message dated 10/19/2005 2:52:53 P.M. Central Standard Time,
franzmetcalf at earthlink.net writes:

or even
the anusatis (recollections). The absence of the latter surprises me,
since the practice of recollecting the Buddha evolved into (arguably)
the primary form of meditation in East Asia. But, again, perhaps I'm
wrong. Now *that* would not surprise me.

====
I've been hanging around US Buddhism for over 25 years and have never run
across the practice of recollecting the Buddha. I haven't found much interest in
 any devotional practices among Western Buddhists (which I think is fine). I
would be interested in finding out if there is any canonical justification
for  it.

Jack