[Buddha-l] on eating meat

Kate marshallarts at bigpond.com
Thu Oct 20 17:13:21 MDT 2005

Thanks for all your corrections and comments, Stephen.  Very interesting.
Sounds like Ron was lucky to be offered just the meat and alcohol!

> The question of who influenced who -- Hindu or Buddhist -- is complex.
> There seems to have been much mutual borrowing and mirroring.

Yes.  I believe the term "Tantra" lit. means "That which has been brought
together" and is a general title for the integrative esoteric schools of
Hinduism and Buddhism.  Chinese "right hand tantra" often prefers to call
itself Mi Ching or Mi Chiao (J: Mikkyo) in preference to Tantra in order to
distinguish itself from the Tibetan and Hindu systems as the Chinese do not
go in for the sexual practices of the Hindu schools or the sexual imagery of
the Tibetan.

Regards
Kate