[Buddha-l] on eating meat

Joy Vriens joy.vriens at nerim.net
Fri Oct 21 01:47:12 MDT 2005

Ames sensibles s'abstenir

Stephen Hodge wrote:

> But what I do find amusing is the selective nature of these "forbidden"
> substances.  Apart from their symbolic meaning, their use was often
> antinomian in nature, but included more than just convenient and
> palatable alcohol and meat.  Many tantric rituals should properly
> include a healthy dose of faeces and menstrual blood -- the piss is
> optional.  The selectivity makes me just a little suspiscious about the
> sincerity of the practitioners.

Since my lunch hour is not due immediately, I take the liberty of
pointing out that the French 17th century quietist, Madame Guyon, was in
fact a closet Tantrist and not a fake one like the ones you are alluding
at. Others qualified her not as a quietist or a mystic but as half-mad
or mad. She imposed all sorts of mortifications on herself, including
one of swallowing juicy gobs on the street to break her
attraction/repulsion, in which according to herself she succeeded.

Joy