[Buddha-l] The authentic Buddha

Jim Peavler jpeavler at mindspring.com
Fri Oct 21 10:32:50 MDT 2005

On Oct 21, 2005, at 6:27 AM, John Chamberlin wrote:
> The Question: How does one find authenticity in any system of
> beliefs/practices if there are no absolutes?

Since I am a person for whom absolutes make no sense at all, and for
whom absolutes seem to me to be impossible of existence, I am probably
not the right person to answer this. However, for myself, I have found
that years and years of meditating over an hour each day, on as close
to absolutely nothing as I can come, I have taken great solace in the
nothingness of meditating. It has come to pass that I do not need to
meditate in a formal way very often any more, but, simply by taking two
or three slow deep breaths I can get in touch with whatever it is (or
isn't) that gives me strength and encouragement. As for my behavior, I
try, like you, to live according to the lay precepts and a handful of
the monastic ones that make sense to me, and I try to take full
responsibility for my actions without subscribing to any "absolute"
standard.

In my opinion, (and, it seems to me to be within the Buddhist
framework) a person has to work at a rather deep level within one's own
self and one's own experience. The more serious a person is about
living that life, and the harder one works to emulate persons whom one
admires and to live up to one's own expectations of morality and
compassion, the closer one comes to living a moral life. I think that
is as close as a person can come, because, no matter how much closer
one comes to one's ideal, experience causes the target to move, and one
must not have any idea of "achieving" any particular state, but must be
willing to understand that life is an activity and a process, and (in
my humble opinion) cannot have any particular goal, especially an
"absolute" one.