[Buddha-l] Re: On being androgynous

Michael Paris parisjm2004 at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 22 22:21:56 MDT 2005

Come to Texas. Dime a dozen.

Take a drive on a Dallas freeway anytime, day or night, but especially
around 5 p.m. Drive less than 80, especially in the right lane,
especially by an exit ramp. You'll find 'em in droves.

Speaking of The Land Down Under...

I note that Crododile Dundee carried a Bowie knife. Old hat for Texans.
In fact, we have a law restricting knives carried to blades of less
than six inches. No samurai swords on our streets. (Although there are
Bowies with five-inch blades.)

Nowadays it's legal to carry a handgun if you're licensed. Why bother
with a mere blade?

Buddhist content:

I often wonder just how much any amount of metta, goodwill, kind deeds,
etc. can do to counteract the increasing tendency towards violence,
even if that means "merely" violent thoughts?

Isn't going armed, being prepared for a shooting, having some degree of
violent thinking? "I'll be ready to shoot it out with the so-and-so
that attacks me." Or something like that. Not a comforting line of
thought.

Michael