[Buddha-l] Chen Yen survival or revival?

Michael Paris parisjm2004 at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 22 22:37:04 MDT 2005

Sounds remarkably like Wicca and most of modern-day neo-paganism.

Cf. Ronald Hutton's Triumph of the Moon for a fine read on the above.
Most unpopular in some circles.

Buddhist content:

Isn't there a Critical Buddhist movement?

Speaking of critical scholarship, one of the finest movements in recent
Biblical scholarship in recent times has been the Jesus Seminar. Marcus
Borg, Dominic Crossan, et. al. have done a fine job of putting
Christianity into historical and factual perspective. Refreshing.

I wonder if the same will ever happen with Buddhism?

Granted that Goldstein, Kornfield, Salzberg, Rosenburg, et.al. of the
CIMC and IMS have stressed very basic Buddhism, yet that approach seems
the exception, not the rule.

Also granted that Christianity has its share of magical elements. I was
raised old-style Roman Catholic, St. Christopher's medals and all that.

Oh well, enough rambling for a late Saturday night.

Michael

--- Jeff Wilson <jwilson101 at gmail.com> wrote:

[snip]

> I've observed that in many cases claims that a group is secret,
underground, esoteric, or persecuted are used to mask the group's
recent creation and inability to accurately document their claims.

[snip]