[Buddha-l] Re: on eating meat

Mike Austin mike at lamrim.org.uk
Sun Oct 23 07:10:03 MDT 2005

In message <fa5d0b589a070e2f50d12e2b6c6266c5 at mindspring.com>, Jim
Peavler <jpeavler at mindspring.com> writes

>We can learn from others, from books, or from deep reflection, but the
>final responsibility for our actions must finally be ourselves. Whether
>or not there are karmic rewards or karmic punishments for whatever
>place we draw that line is irrelevant. I think.

If one is thinking in terms of future lives with the dedication of those
lives to achieving an improved position from which to help others, it is
important not to compromise those lives by ill-considered actions in the
present life. In this context, one's karma vipaka is not just a personal
reward or punishment, but something that has implications for others. If
such a perspective is not appreciated, it could appear that concern with
karma and its ripening is merely a narrow and selfish concern.

--
Metta
Mike Austin