[Buddha-l] On being unarmed and compassionate

Michael Paris parisjm2004 at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 23 11:03:58 MDT 2005

Very selective group, eh? I wonder what other entrance requirements
they have. So one has to justify one's beliefs, or even hobbies, in
order to belong to this bunch. But, of course, that's their privilege.
Many groups practice their version of right-think.

Richard, your last comment simply isn't funny, at least to me. Normally
I'd say nothing about your sense of humor, but saying something like
that, even intended purely in jest, bothers me a lot.

Perhaps I'm in a sour mood. On the comics page yesterday, LuAnn,
Foxtrot, and Dilbert all dealt with violence and killing, none well.

Not that I'm advocating any sort of censorship. Of course not. Perhaps
popular humor is reflecting our culture, as art always does.

Michael

--- "Richard P. Hayes" <rhayes at unm.edu> wrote:

[snip]

 > One of the Buddhist groups I have been involved with has a guideline
that anyone who seeks membership in the group either has to disarm or
have a very good reason for possessing firearms or other weapons.
Although some people seem a bit puzzled by this guideline and wonder
whether it isn't in some sense anti-American, they can usually be
made to see that being obsessively American is pretty much
anti-Buddhist. (I they can't be made to see this, we usually shoot
them.)