[Buddha-l] Re: on eating meat

Michael Paris parisjm2004 at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 23 11:11:56 MDT 2005

Yes.

Rewards and punishments - not a sound basis for moral actions.

IMHO this entire discussion, especially the references to karma, is
about morality.

In fact, it seems karma directly relates to moral actions. Good karma
corresponds to "good" moral acts, and vice versa. Of course, the
clincher is the meaning of "good" and "bad." That's what this thread
has been about all along. Messy subject.

I wonder if Buddhist ethics and morality can be discussed in English
terms, without reference to "karma" and other semi-metaphysical terms.
That might clarify the arguments.

Michael

--- Jim Peavler <jpeavler at mindspring.com> wrote:

> Whether or not there are karmic rewards or karmic punishments for
whatever place we draw that line is irrelevant. I  think.