[Buddha-l] Chen Yen survival or revival?

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Sun Oct 23 08:55:28 MDT 2005

Hutton's case is actually very weak in a number of areas. It is
particularly weak on the specific point relevant here - that of
"underground" spiritual movements surviving in the face of persecution -
an issue that Hutton actually ignores. Much more relevant would be Perez
Zagorin's "Ways of Lying: Dissimulation, Persecution, and Conformity in
Early Modern Europe". Dissimulation was a well-established phenomenon
within Latin Christendom - those who condemned it called it "casuistry",
while a theoretical/theological justification was developed for
dissimulation under the name "Nicodemism". Calvin, for example,
considered Nicodemism a major problem because he wanted his followers to
"come out of the closet", but a lot of them thought that unwise.

Religious groups that have experienced persecution often do have very
tenuous claims to "continuity" with past traditions. But that is not
necessarily due to the dishonesty of the leaders of those groups,
combined with the gullibility of their followers - it is likely due to
the fact that religious persecution finds it easier to destroy the
physical evidence of a tradition than the actual tradition itself.

- Curt