[Buddha-l] Re: karma and action

Bob Zeuschner rbzeuschner at adelphia.net
Sun Oct 23 14:43:30 MDT 2005

Hi Richard --
Yes, I saw the term "intentional" in your original message. I understood
you as suggesting that substituting "action" would reveal that the term
karma is not a metaphysical term.

As I understand the use of karma on this list and elsewhere, it is so
filled with metaphysical implications that I find it not much different
from similar unfalsifiable claims of "original sin" or "eternal souls."

As such, I find it an interesting way to think about things, and it
might even provide a useful guide to personal decisions, BUT I find no
reason to accept it as some truth about the way things are. IMHO.

Thus, to substitute "action" for "karma" would lose almost all the
genuine metaphysical meaning from the term, and mislead the hearer.
Best,
Bob