[Buddha-l] Re: on eating meat and pets

Laura Castell laura.castell at jcu.edu.au
Sun Oct 23 17:39:31 MDT 2005

Hi Richard,
The issue of pets is a very interesting one.  We can't blame the animals
for their actions, they are being their true selves when they go out and
hunt. Even the sometimes apparent cruelty of their behaviour I believe is
natural (something about nature I struggle to understand ). I still
remember images of killer whales "playing" with the poor penguins before
finally eating them, and your description of the mice being
suffocated/drown I think is extremely common, even if pets are kept well
fed.  You should see the fights possums get onto for a piece of fruit or
territory!, unfortunately the territory is our roof ! I have to confess
that I can think of 'karma' as applied to us humans but not as applied to
animals because considering how hard it is for us, supposedly the most
intelligent species, to act keeping karma in mind, how can animals do it?

 >>A truly compassionate attitude would be to rejoice at the merits of my
 >cat for being so good at being a cat and getting something that she
 >obviously treasures, while feeling compassion for the bird who has died
 >in the cat's clutches. My aim now is to progress to the stage where I
 >can just watch the cat catch birds that I feed and feel simultaneous joy
 >and commiseration.

are you serious? (I am really not sure! so I may be silly in my reply to
this but I'll have a go anyway). If the cat was a wild animal and catching
birds to survive, then I think one can feel compassion for both, the cat
and the birds, but when we talk about cats that receive lots of love and
attention and food, I think the only recipients of our compassion should be
the poor birds!  I don't think the cats should be judged,  if we think
about it, we as owners need to take the blame for our cat's behaviour (I
know this sounds a bit extremist), so ideally we should do something about
it. Unfortunately asking people not to have pets is like asking people to
eat less meat or to take the bus to work instead of their own car, it is
very difficult to do. I don't mean to say that having pets is wrong (it is
a complex issue and I agree that in some cases the presence of pets is
irreplaceable to their owners) but making them vegetarians is not
necessarily the solution.
  All the best, Laura