[Buddha-l] five elements

Mike Austin mike at lamrim.org.uk
Sun Oct 23 18:19:25 MDT 2005

In message <000901c5d827$cc8c5440$6900a8c0 at vic.bigpond.net.au>, Kate
<marshallarts at bigpond.com> writes

>I mentioned in my last post that CY uses the 5 Element system of analysis.
>Before participating in this forum I haven't discussed Buddhism with anyone
>except my two teachers.  So thinking about it, perhaps the 5 element system
>is basic to all schools of Buddhism.  If so, please excuse my ignorance and
>anything I might say at any time that is insultingly basic. Thanks!

Hi Kate,

This is also the system used by the Tibetan Gelug tradition. Tsongkhapa
writes on the ten paths of non-virtuous action in the Lam Rim Chenmo:

"The 'Compendium of Determinations' teaches this in five categories -
  basis, perception, attitude, affliction, and conclusion. However, you
  can condense the middle three into the category of attitude and add the
  category of performance to give a condensed presentation of each of the
  paths of action in four categories - basis, attitude, performance, and
  culmination."

--
Metta
Mike Austin