[Buddha-l] "Nature" and eating meat

Mike Austin mike at lamrim.org.uk
Sun Oct 23 18:31:15 MDT 2005

In message <02fd515f489dfa12562d57f7ee62ff91 at mindspring.com>, Jim
Peavler <jpeavler at mindspring.com> writes

>I'm likely to get in trouble for this, but people often excuse things
>because they are "natural". Why is it more natural for a mountain lion
>or a coyote to kill for food than it is for a human. Humans spent a few
>million years evolving as hunters, as the long history of artifacts of
>weapons, scrapers, etc. attest. Perhaps virtue lies in the strength to
>overcome "nature". But, then, why would that be true?

Some words are, I feel, loaded. Words such as 'blame' smack of guilt and
punishment. If one thinks more in terms of causes and conditions brought
about by mistaken ideas, it would be less of a pejorative.  And the word
'natural' sounds somehow good and right. 'Habitual' or 'instinctive' may
be nearer the mark. In this ugly mess of samsara, it is 'natural' to act
habitually in a deluded and unskilful manner.

>(This here is a whole new subject line of which I tremble to imagine
>the repercussions.

Hehe! I hope this repercussion wasn't worth trembling about!

--
Metta
Mike Austin