[Buddha-l] Re: "Nature" and eating meat

Laura Castell laura.castell at jcu.edu.au
Sun Oct 23 19:54:16 MDT 2005

At 06:55 PM 23/10/2005 -0600, you wrote:
>I'm likely to get in trouble for this, but people often excuse things
>because they are "natural". Why is it more natural for a mountain lion
>or a coyote to kill for food than it is for a human. Humans spent a few
>million years evolving as hunters, as the long history of artifacts of
>weapons, scrapers, etc. attest.
Hi Jim,
I know that the comment of 'it is natural' is a controversial one, but I
think you took my meaning too far back in history. I do not think that
eating meat for survival is wrong. In the days when humans were evolving
and struggling at a similar level to that of their environment, I think
they did an excellent and admirable job, and I think it was at that time a
'natural' thing to do.  It still is in many places.  The problem is that
for most (not all) of the world it has become not a matter of survival and
of fighting for it, but instead an excess. The worst of it is that it has
serious consequences, for the environment, for the animals involved and for
us. That's where the problem lies.

>Perhaps virtue lies in the strength to overcome "nature". But, then, why
>would that be true?
Trying to overcome nature ...... why would there be virtue in that? it
implies a competition, seeing nature and us as different things.  Isn't
this  precisely the attitude you should try to avoid?

Saludos, Laura