[Buddha-l] "Nature" and eating meat

Catalina Castell-du Payrat c_castell at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 24 03:51:36 MDT 2005

You can say animals have an intention when they eat, hunt, etc. to me the intention there would be: I have to do that in order to survive, I don't even think about it, I just do it......... I understand that we call "natural" or "instinct" behaviours that animal have for survival without having a kind of "knowing" if it is good or bad for the hunted or eated, etc, is just good for them. It is a survival situation.

I don't think the comparison between humans and most animals at this respect is fair for the animals. I said most animals because some species (the closest to us by the way.....) cheat in a very sophisticated way to obtain what they want (not talking about hunting here). We should know first the degree of conciousness accompanying those acts.

But then, we could just say that yes, animals accumulate bad karma because even if some behaviours are meant to allowed them to survive, the animal condition is like this, so how could an animal (a carnivorous hunter par example) accumulate  good karma.......?

Catalina

Catalina Castell - du Payrat
c_castell at yahoo.com