[Buddha-l] "Nature" and eating meat

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Mon Oct 24 08:08:58 MDT 2005

Joy Vriens wrote:

> Yes humanism, the Human project is a project. We can't judge the whole
> project on the basis of somme rotten pears (as the Curt doctrine would
> require us to do). ;-)

I wonder what is motivating you to say such an unpleasant thing? My
psychic powers are extremely limited - but if I try to read your mind it
seems to me that you misunderstood what I said during the discussion
concerning pacifism (and if that is the case, then I must first blame
myself). To clarify very briefly: I never intended that Buddhism should
be judged by "rotten pears" - in particular I do not consider the first
13 Dalai Lamas, nor King Asoka nor the less well known Sosan Taesa to
have been "rotten" at all - merely counter-examples to the claim that
Buddhism is inherently pacifist. I hold all of them in the highest
regard (well, alright - I don't know that much about each and every
Dalai Lama - but I am more than willing to give them the benefit of the
doubt). I regret that I expressed myself so poorly as to lead to such a
misunderstanding.

But on the subject of "nature": I know it is something of a truism, but
I also think that it may be at least in part true, that Buddhism's
attitude toward nature changed as it moved out of India, and especially
as it moved North and East. But even in India the later development of
Tantric Buddhism also represents a more "positive" view of nature than
that found in early Buddhism. In the case of Chinese Buddhism a lot of
mileage has been gotten out of ideas about Taoist influences making
Buddhism more natural and earthy and so forth. I think there is some
truth to that - but there must have been something in Buddhism that was
able to adapt to that different intellectual environment - I don't think
it was just a matter of rank opportunism. The situation in Central Asia
is even more interesting and messy - where the interpenetration of
Buddhism and Shamanism has been quite deep.

- Curt