[Buddha-l] Conze on monks' busywork

Joel Tatelman tatelman at sympatico.ca
Mon Oct 24 16:27:52 MDT 2005

> Richard et al,

In graduate school, I wrote a paper on Conze's contribution to Buddhist
studies and remember quite clearly a remark in praise of abhidharma in
one of his published pieces (can't give a reference right now though).

The context was EC's criticism of Western Buddhists' enthusiasm for Zen
and Madhyamaka.

Conze remarked that it we want to run before we can walk, that we wish
to engage the most advanced Buddhist teachings when most of us would
benefit far more from disciplined analysis of and meditation on the
rise and fall of dharmas as set out in the various Abhidharma
traditions.

> If the mark of genius is freedom from having to be consistent, I guess
> that's a few points for Conze.

Regards,

Joel Tatelman.