[Buddha-l] Re: "Nature" and eating meat

Jim Peavler jpeavler at mindspring.com
Tue Oct 25 08:05:20 MDT 2005

On Oct 25, 2005, at 5:15 AM, Stefan Detrez wrote:

> Cases of Westerners eating human flesh are scarce as far as I know.

Colorado has its cannibal. In 1873 he was with a party of prospectors
who got isolated by a blizzard not to far from Lake City, Colorado in
the San Juan Mountains. They never arrived at their destination, and
when Alfred was finally rescued it was discovered that he had eaten
some of his companions. It was later claimed that Alfred, a Democrat,
had eaten the only Republicans in the county. Alfred lived to be a
rather unhealthy old man.

In the late 50s or early 60s sometime a group of us started a movement
to rename the student cafeteria at the University of Colorado, then
called the Indian Grill (this name would be outlawed by the NCAA I am
sure), to the Alfred Packer Memorial Cafeteria. We were not successful,
but serious-minded students within the next decade were finally
succeeded in this noble cause.