[Buddha-l] "Nature" and "Natural"

Jim Peavler jpeavler at mindspring.com
Tue Oct 25 09:05:16 MDT 2005

On Oct 25, 2005, at 6:28 AM, curt wrote:

> In Buddhist terms I would take "nature" to be everything that is
> subject to change - (which doesn't really leave much else, does it?).

Being the one guilt of bringing "nature" and "natural" into the
discussion of meat eating, I must confess that the discussion has
convinced me that bringing these concepts into a discussion of buddhist
thought may be similar to claiming Christ is a bodhisattva. It is a
part of western mythology that doesn't mix well with eastern mythology
(eastern and western and also parts of western mythology probably).

Anyhow, of importance to Buddhism, I think are the noble truths and the
8-fold path and ideas derived from them. I doubt that Buddhists n the
formative years (which years haven't been formative I wonder) ever had
the concept "nature" or "natural" and did not prohibit meat eating
because it was "unnatural" but because is was a cause of unpleasantness
to a fellow sentient being. About all the discussion of "Nature" with a
capital "N" that I can think of in Buddhism is that all sentient beings
suffer discomfort and pain and death. That is pretty much an empirical
fact.  The other major principle is that all things are conditioned,
which, clearly makes no distinction between humans or angels or beasts
or inanimate objects, of universes.

The idea of "Nature" as "all that out there in the universe that isn't
a product of man" seems not to have occurred in Buddhism.

If somebody knows different, then I will be proud to read about it.