[Buddha-l] Re: "Nature" and eating meat

Peter D. Junger junger at samsara.law.cwru.edu
Tue Oct 25 11:34:43 MDT 2005

Jim Peavler writes:

:
: On Oct 25, 2005, at 5:15 AM, Stefan Detrez wrote:
: >
: > Cases of Westerners eating human flesh are scarce as far as I know.
: >
:
: Colorado has its cannibal. In 1873 he was with a party of prospectors
: who got isolated by a blizzard not to far from Lake City, Colorado in
: the San Juan Mountains. They never arrived at their destination, and
: when Alfred was finally rescued it was discovered that he had eaten
: some of his companions. It was later claimed that Alfred, a Democrat,
: had eaten the only Republicans in the county. Alfred lived to be a
: rather unhealthy old man.
:
: In the late 50s or early 60s sometime a group of us started a movement
: to rename the student cafeteria at the University of Colorado, then
: called the Indian Grill (this name would be outlawed by the NCAA I am
: sure), to the Alfred Packer Memorial Cafeteria. We were not successful,
: but serious-minded students within the next decade were finally
: succeeded in this noble cause.

Legend has it that when sentencing Alfred Packer for murder the
judge said:

  "...There was siven Dimmycrats in Hinsdale County! But you, yah
  voracious, main-eatin son of a bitch, yah et five of them,
  therefor I sentence ye T' be hanged by the neck until y're dead,
  dead, dead!"

A musical was made about Packer, which brings to mind the fact
that a musical was also made about Sweeney Todd.

But note that there appears to be no case where someone was convicted
of cannibalism rather than some form of homicide.

But cf., _The reluctant cannibal_, by Flanders & Swann, circa 1956,
<http://www.thurb.com/humour/cannibal.htm>, where the objection was
to the eating, not the killing.

CORRIGENDUM:  In an earlier message I referred incorrectly to a
case that I called "Dudley v. Stephens.''  The actual case name
is "Regina v. Dudley and Stephens."  The opinion of the court
can be found at:
<http://www.justis.com/titles/iclr_bqb14040.html>.
--
Peter D. Junger--Case Western Reserve University Law School--Cleveland, OH
 EMAIL: junger at samsara.law.cwru.edu    URL:  http://samsara.law.cwru.edu