[Buddha-l] Re: "Nature" and eating meat

John Whalen-Bridge ellwbj at nus.edu.sg
Tue Oct 25 20:04:00 MDT 2005

"A case---not a law case---that is more relevant to Buddha-L is that
of a Soto Zen teacher who is, I believe, the most compasionate
person whom I have ever met and who works for a local humane society,
where his duties include being an "euthanasia officer."  He
has killed many a rabid raccoon and cancerous cat and in my
estimation is as close to being a true Bodhisattva as is possible
in these degenerate times.  (And, being allergic to all wheat
products he does occasionally eat meat---even Bodhisattva's cannot
live by rice crackers alone.)"

The situation Peter Junger describes parallels the ending of Coetzee's DISGRACE very closely.  Could I know, on-list or off, the name of the Soto Zen teacher, and how widely known is his/her activity? Am wondering if it is coincindence or influence/analogue.  Thanks--John Whalen-Bridge