[Buddha-l] Re: "Nature" and eating meat

John Whalen-Bridge ellwbj at nus.edu.sg
Fri Oct 28 03:45:12 MDT 2005

Much thanks to Peter Junger for his response.  I should say that the
protagonist David Lurie is a person who, one would argue, moves from
disgrace to non-disgrace, and his compassionate action (the euthanasia
of animals) is a paradoxical expression of how far he comes. Some
readers might disagree with that interpretation, but the line of
thought, nonetheless, is that the character's redemption is that he is,
in some ways, able to become more like your friend Tim McCarthy.

I highly recommend the book.  Vegetarians on the list should also read
THE LIVES OF ANIMALS, which includes a response to Coetzee's animal
rights heroine by Peter Singer.

All best wishes,
John Whalen-Bridge

Message: 1