[Buddha-l] What's wrong with a little Dharma?

Stephen Hodge s.hodge at padmacholing.freeserve.co.uk
Thu Sep 1 11:43:46 MDT 2005

F.K. Lehman wrote:

> Thus, for many speakers, it is not the very word 'Brit' that offends but
> rather its use in what one may call serious, semi-formal, perhaps even
> quasi-scholarly discourse or discussion as, for instance, on a scholarly
> Listserv such as Buddha-l.

Yes, well put !  But also the term "Brit" surfaced in anti-British IRA
parlance and was probably popularized in the US by the supporters of NORAID
and their ilk.  Given that context it was obviously not meant to be
complementary.

As far as I can see, all abbreviations of countries / nationalities are
dismissive or derogatory, with the probable exception of Aussie, and so
should be avoided despite the fact that some unthinking people even here use
it.

Best wishes,
Stephen Hodge