[Buddha-l] What's wrong with a little Dharma?

Alex Wilding alex at chagchen.org
Sun Sep 4 03:51:36 MDT 2005

jkirk wrote:
> Replying to Stephen's suggestion that the term "Briton" would do, it
> is equally obnoxious in some quarters of the United Kingdom when
> citizens as a whole are labeled British, since many Scots and Welsh
> people object that they are not Britons.
Bizarre, isn't it? I used to very conscientiously avoid referring to
"England" wherever possible, and would call myself British rather than
English. Then I realised the Scots and the Welsh (to whom I was trying to be
respectful) wanted to be known under those names, so I gave up my artificial
attempts at inclusivity. I am English. When not English, I am European,
having lived not just in England, Scotland and Wales but also in Germany and
now in Ireland. (Next stop Australia.)
But now I realise that I am entirely off-topic. Would it be un-English (or
ungentlemanly) to wonder if the whole thread has wandered off?
AW