[Buddha-l] Getting real about Buddhism and capitalism

Erik Hoogcarspel jehms at xs4all.nl
Fri Sep 30 13:02:54 MDT 2005

jkirk schreef:

> Lately some of us have been finding opportunities to critique current
> national affairs
> via a Buddhist critique as well as a Marxist or some other critique.
> That being the case, it is time, IMHO, to get real about what it is
> that is corrupting and terrorizing the ordinary peoples of the entire
> world and ruining their habitats and means of survival:
> the arms industry and trade. With that in mind, here are some
> pertinent data, and I do not want to hear back the NRA argument that
> weapons don't kill, people do.
> Joanna

You're right of course , Joanna. People kill... with weapons. If
everything would depend on people, there would be no reason to prohibit
any drug or poison. Since Marx philosophers have discovered the power
things have on us, see Marshal McLUhan, Foucault, Heidegger, Latour and
Baudrillard. Capitalism depends on greed. This is clear from The Wealth
of the Nations by Asam Smith, who took the idea probably from the Fable
of the Bees from Bernard de Mandeville. Mandeville argues that the
economy thrives on wickedness and I think he is right. What strikes and
annoys me is that some (mostly Tibetan) big shots of the sangha claim
that their financial succes is a consequence of their holyness.

--

Erik

www.xs4all.nl/~jehms